Lake Louise Top 10 Summer Activities
The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise - Top 10 Summer Activities
1. Canoeing on Lake Louise - Paddle the day away on the beautiful and always breathtaking Lake Louise. Enjoy stunning scenery, aquamarine water and the dramatic peaks of the Victoria Glacier. Our Concierge Team recommends a Sunrise Canoe Excursion or Voyageur Canoe Adventure for a particularly authentic and memorable experience!
2. Hiking in the Lake Louise Area - Enjoy classic hikes including the ever popular "Lake Agnes & the Tea House" and "Plain of Six Glaciers & Tea House" hikes. Guided Heritage Tours for half day and full day hiking adventures can also be arranged with our Concierge Team.
3. Lake Louise Sightseeing Gondola - Experience the panoramic splendor of Lake Louise! The fourteen-minute ride travels to a top elevation of 2088 meters (6850 feet) where you can experience the majestic Canadian Rockies from a bird's eye perspective. A complimentary shuttle service is available from The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise to and from the Lake Louise Gondola, drive time is 15 minutes each way.
4. Explore the Columbia Ice Fields - Follow the mystical rivers of the mountains: the Mistaya, and the mighty North Saskatchewan to the Columbia Icefield where its melt water feeds streams and rivers that pour into the Arctic, Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Experience the Ice Explorer ride where you will travel on a moving glacier, touch ancient ice and drink the fresh waters of the glacier.
5. Moraine Lake - Situated in the Valley of the Ten Peaks at an elevation of approximately 1,885 meters (6,183 feet) is the glacially-fed Moraine Lake. This spectacular lake reflects a distinct shade of blue, due to the refraction of light off the rock flour deposited in the lake, and is a popular hiking spot . The view of the lake from the top of the easy to ascend "Rockpile Trail" is one of the most photographed locations in all of Canada.
6. Yoho National Park - Explore the natural attractions of Yoho National Park. Cross the Great Divide to the Spiral Railway Tunnels, where three lines of railway are laid at different elevations to cross the Kicking Horse River on four bridges. Relax and wander around the trails at Takakkaw Falls, the second highest waterfall in Canada.
7. Emerald Lake - Located in Yoho National Park, a 30 minute drive from Lake Louise, Emerald Lake is a peaceful, spectacular lake nestled in the mountains and surrounded by lush, green forest. Walking the three mile trail around the lake is one of the least strenuous but most rewarding in the park. An incredible variety of geological features can be viewed from the lake, including the world-famous Burgess Shale fossil beds, the Michael glacier, and an avalanche slope carpeted by meadows where moose often graze.
8. Yoho's Natural Bridge - Natural Bridge is an impressive natural rock formation that spans the flow of the Kicking Horse River west of Field, where the slower-moving waters from the Field valley flats begin their descent through a canyon to be joined by the Amiskwi River. The Natural Bridge lookout presents visitors with the opportunity to view the formation from a variety of different vantage points, with interpretive displays explaining the physical processes at work. The bridge can be reached easily by car just 3 km from Field on Emerald Lake Road.
9. Guided Mountain Heritage Programs - In 1997, The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise revived its time honored guiding tradition. Led by award winning naturalists, the resort's Mountain Heritage Program offers adventure for all skill levels and focuses on enjoying the "journey' as much as reaching the "destination". The summer program runs June 1st to October 8th. Popular programs include "Ride the Divide", "Voyageur Canoe Adventure", "Sunrise Canoe Excursion" and half or full day guided hiking adventures.
10. Horseback Riding - Come and experience the feel of the Wild West on horseback with nothing but breathtaking scenery for the entire ride. Located on the grounds of The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Brewster Stables offer a variety of horseback rides.